The Theater “then”
The new Canby Theatre, built and opened in 1939 by William Flieder, was designed by an architect (Mr. Crosier) who employed an art deco motif. A local highway contractor, J. J. Govercki, excavated the full basement. Gordon Victor, a local hardware store owner, started construction which was later taken over and finished by Swedberg Brothers of Wheaton, MN. Finishing touches were placed on modernistic decorations under the supervision of Minneapolis interior decorator Otto Nielsen.
The Theater “Now”
The Canby Theatre is located in the downtown section of Canby with 600 seats, the blond brick building not only houses the theatre but five retail spaces and five apartments on the second floor. The originally single screen theatre had a second screen added around 1982. It remained in operation showing first-run films until closing in December 2012. In early 2015 the historic Canby Theatre reopened after undergoing major renovations to bring this main-stay back to life. The theater is currently being managed by Jeff and Elise Ferguson (Ferguson Entertainment LLC).
The new Canby Theatre, built and opened in 1939 by William Flieder, has been completely renovated including digital projectors in our two screens.
109 St Olaf Ave N,
Canby, MN 56220
Call: (507) 223-5873
Management: Ferguson Entertainment LLC - Elise and Jeff Ferguson